Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

I have a 2004 Ford F 150 with a 5.4 Triton Bank One

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Ford F 150 with a 5.4 Triton Bank One sillinoid p0012 Cole keeps popping up I change the VCT solenoid I changed the cam sensor haven't been able to get rid of the code what are a couple other things that I could check the truck seems to be running good now and then need to change a spark plug or two but other than rough idle great fuel mileage really no other complaints
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 11 months ago.

When it is idling rough is there also a kind of knocking/rattle from under the hood?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No
Expert:  Ray M. replied 11 months ago.

It could one of two things then, does it set the code only after it has run for a while and the engine is really warm?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I clear the code to the code comes on after 5 to 10 minutes of driving
Expert:  Ray M. replied 11 months ago.

did you change both VCT solenoids?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 11 months ago.

The only other thing that we have seen cause this code is low engine oil pressure or worn camshaft bearing journals, my advice would be to remove the valve covers and remove one of the caps and inspect it, if there are fairly deep grooves in the cap and worn into the camshaft, then it loses oil pressure and cannot control the cam phasers. The engine oil pressure should also be checked with the engine hot, it needs to be over 25psi to properly activate and control the phasers.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 11 months ago.

let me know what you find.