Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

1999 f150 no start new fuel pump and filter injectors are

Customer Question

1999 f150 no start new fuel pump and filter injectors are firing. Will start with starting fluid.when i stop spraying stater fluid it runs back out the k &n tube
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. There is a THEFT light in the instrument cluster. It normally comes on and then goes off when the key is turned ON. When you turn the key ON is the theft light blinking rapidly? Or does it come on for 3 seconds then go off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Comes on for 3 seconds and goes off
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the fuel cut-off switch? And by that I mean to you have power going into and out of the switch to the fuel pump?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I dont have access to a phone for calls right now. I can leave the chat if you want to wait for someone to take a call. Or you can continue to ask me here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill continue to talk online
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the fuel cut-off switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a test to see if power was going to tje switch. There is no power going to it when i turn thrle key to the on position
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A test light
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. That could be a problem.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Let me check exactly where it gets power from

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What motor is in your truck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say cut off switch you are referring to the one on the passenger side kick panel right?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

what motor is in the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4 triton
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

At this point you need to go to the fuel pump relay in the fuse box under the hood. remove the relay. with the key ON, check for power on terminals 30 and 86 of the fuse box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no terminal 86 in my fuse box in the truck
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

terminal 86 of the relay. WHen you remove the relay, it says which terminals are which on the relay. Check for power on terminal 86 and 30 of the fuel pump relay. Power needs to be on those 2 terminals for the relay to work. And I need to go offline for a few hours. I can send you an offer for the wiring diagram to view yourself and work off of until I get back later. Up to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i paid for a few answers with the problem not getting solved
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Who said that we are done working on it?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I need to go offline for a few hours.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The website does offer a service for sending service manual information. I just put that out to you. You can wait and continue later on if that is fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok just making sure. Ok are you gonna get back with me or do i need to get back with you in a few hours?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I will get back to you. You can feel free to continue checking for power on the 2 terminals of the relay.You can also respond to update me on any progress you make. That is why I was letting you know of the pdf offer so you can continue. Also check fuse 10 (20amp) in the fuse box under the hood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Signing off now. Talk to you later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has power on terminal 30 & 86. Fuse number 10 is good
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The relay may be bad, or the pcm is not grounding pin 85 of the relay, to activate it. If you want, to check the circuitry, put a jumper wire across terminals 30 and 87. Then check if you have power at the fuel cut-off switch and see if the pump runs and the truck starts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump has been coming on since i replaced it along with the fuel filter
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You said there is no power at the fuel cut-off switch. How can the fuel pump turn on?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

And you said it starts with starting fluid. Sounds like you are getting no fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i put the test light to the inertia switch it didnt light up .its gettin fuel up to the fuel rail
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

That makes no sense. You may want to double check. And make sure the pressure at the rail is enough to fire the engine. Also did you try stepping on the gas when it would not start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried stepping on the gas. If i hold the shedder valve gas come out strong
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried disconnecting the mass air flow sensor connector and starting it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just did that it act like it wont start but when the mass air flow sensor is plugged in it acts like it want to start
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

WHen was the last time the spark plugs were replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the sensor plugged up it tries to start .the spark plugs are dry
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure. If you spray starting fluid it starts. You are not getting fuel. Dry plugs equal no fuel. I think you need to verify your fuel pressure. You may have a corroded wire not getting the fuel pump 12 volts. Just enough to get some fuel but build no pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The spark plugs havent been changed in a while.with one plug out trying to crank it starts off sparking bright then the spark gets kind of weak
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

It might be worth replacing the plugs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced plugs still not starting. Plugs dtill dry
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Have you verified power on one of the wires at the fuel injectors? with the key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i put that noid light on the wire to the injectors
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

If the noid light was flashing when you were cranking it, then it means the injectors are firing. But if the plugs are dry you are not getting fuel. You may want to check the fuel pressure with a gauge, or even remove the fuel rail from the engine, and see if fuel is actually spraying out. Maybe the injectors are clogged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It possible for all the injectors to be clogged at the same time?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Depends what got into the fuel. You need to try something and figure out why fuel is not getting into the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any suggestions?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I already suggested checking the fuel pressure. I am going to opt-out and open the question back up to the list of experts and perhaps someone else will have a direction to go. Thank you.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You need between 30-45 PSI of fuel pump pressure. If you don't have a fuel pressure tester borrow one, purchase one or rent one and check the fuel pressure. Also, type in your engine vin number and/or tell if this is a gas or bi-fuel engine.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The 8th digit of the vehicle vin would be the engine digit or engine vin number. What is the 8th digit, a 3, L or Z?