sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My 2001 E-250 van all of sudden started electrical prolems.

Customer Question

My 2001 E-250 van all of sudden started electrical prolems. The backup lights comes on with the brake lights or the emergency lights or with the turn indicator lights. seems the back up lights flashes with the turn lights too. What is the problem as it just started to happen and I have not had any work done on anything electrical. Help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem is either multiple circuits shorted to each other or a poor ground. A poor ground is more likely.

If power feed circuits short together then obliviously it will cause lights to come on when not intended. The short could be anywhere from the front to the rear but would more likely be in the rear, the most common place to find a short between lighting circuits is trailer wiring.

I expect you have a poor ground though. If ground to a component is poor it can cause other items on a shared ground circuit to operate as current flows though them. The first thing I would recommend is a visual inspection of wiring and grounds in the rear. You can also supply a redundant ground to the lights with a jumper wire for testing to see if that helps.