Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1984 F-250 6.9 diesel I replaced the glow plugs and

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I have a 1984 F-250 6.9 diesel I replaced the glow plugs and the relay now when I turn the key to start he starter will not work an the wait lamp does not work. ***** ***** Sines Kissimmee florida. I have had the truck for 14 years
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I checked all of fuesable links they are good is there a latching relay and I replaced the glowplug control switch.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes that will be fine. I have to go put money on the card I use on line.That will take about one hour.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Dear sir, I was given the wrong relay for the glow plug system I replaced it with the new one and it worked thank you
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your advice I would like to pay the bill now.
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

glad you got it sorted

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?