Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2005 ford five hundred. The car will just shut down all

Customer Question

2005 ford five hundred. The car will just shut down all lights except headlights and it will still run. It's acting like bad alternator. But the alternate is putting our 14.2 at idle.when this issue happens every accessory shuts down except headlights
and the engine. And now the dash shows check engine and reactions control and abs lights.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 12 months ago.

A faulty alternator would affect everything electrical while the engine is running. This doesn't sound like an alternator problem.

There are a few fuses I want you to check for voltage when this problem is occurring, the fuse #29 and fuse #34 in the battery junction block, under the hood.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 12 months ago.

Also fuse #1, in the same block.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Last night the car wouldn't start and I jumped it but I didn't even have the other vehicle running I just connected battery to battery and started it and the alternator was putting out 14.4 V it ran for about 20 minutes and then it just died and once it died I check the battery again and it had 11 V and the minute you crank it would drop to seven or 6 V
Expert:  Mike S. replied 12 months ago.

You are going to have to charge that battery overnite at 4 amps.

Did you check for voltage at those fuses?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The battery is old so I will not likely replace anyway.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 12 months ago.

likely or not likely cause you said not likely.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Oh sorry, I will replace it as it is old anyway.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 12 months ago.

I would charge it and then take it in and have it load tested before buying a new one.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All fuses good. New battery as well. When I first fired up the car the alternator was putting out 12 ish volts. It rose o 14.4 in 20 sec or so. Does that mean anything? Does that car have a decoupling pulley on the alternator?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I have a Diesel engine and the charging system on it puts out only 12 volts at idle after first starting it up than after about 50 seconds or so, the idle kicks up and the alternator starts putting out the normal 14 volts. I was told this is because the glow plugs take up that voltage until they turn off.

That leads me to ask, is this a diesel?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I don't read that it has a decoupling pulley.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A ford Five hundred with a diesel?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It does not appear that you are familiar with the vehicle in question. I would like my question relisted.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

It's impossible to remember what every single year, make and model has in it, but I will relist it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Actually, you have to relist it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Maybe you wouldn't remember the size of the engine, but a "Ford Mechanic" would know that ford does not make a fullsize diesel (or any other diesel) car in years.