Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I've got 01 focus with dohc zetec in it broke timing belt

Customer Question

I've got 01 focus with dohc zetec in it broke timing belt was told it was interference engine but was not took head off to check it was good got pucks mixed up finally have valve clearance good but will run but will not idle runs erratic and has no power what could it be
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Are you sure you have your cam timing lined up correctly? If the timing is not correct, it will cause a lack of power . Have you rechecked it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have checked a few times also should you check valve clearance on cold motor or warm motor thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Valve clearance should be checked on a warm engine, have you by chance ran a compression test on all the cylinders?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but I will had head off and checked it was good it wouldn't run with bent valves would it I'm used to old school v8 its all new to me thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

This engine is not an interference engine so the valve should not have been damaged but if you sure the timing belt is aligned properly I would at lease run a compression test to be sure you have proper compression to at least rule it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took so long but what should compression be on this engine I got roughly 155 across cylinders thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Normal compression should be about 125PSI on the low end and about 135 to 140 PSI on the high end. What reading are you getting?