Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2009 Ford Fusion, this morning it would not start.

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2009 Ford Fusion, this morning it would not start. The positive post on the battery was covered with greenish acid. I cleaned it off with baking soda and warm water, used a steel brush to clean the positive terminal and the connection and it still would not start. I put it on a battery charger when it was fully charged it was showing 14.7 amps. When I tried to start it, it would almost start but would not totally turn the engine on. After one attempt to turn it on, all I would get was loud clicking. I did this three times, each time with the same results. I had a friend come over and hooked it up to his car for a jump start, same thing, it would almost start but never turning the engine on to idle. My question is it alternator, starter, or something else?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Details are in the first message
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, so we are on same page in wording, do you mean the engine will not CRANK? meaning wont go round and round OR do you mean the engine IS cranking/turning but will not start up? Also, when it was jumped by the friend, did you get the same loud clicking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
crank, yes. It sounded like it would normally do when you turn the key, but it would not go to the point of the engine running. When we jumped it, it did not make the clicking noise at all. It would just not get to point of the engine running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine IS cranking/turning but will not start up
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** would not be a battery issue or starter if it is cranking, no crank is different so since so many possibles? I am not quite sure where to start with this problem so I will opt out and open the post to the other experts, One should be along soon to help

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you try to start it, is there a security light flashing on the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't notice, I did notice all the symbols were lit up in the dash board. I do have a dealer installed alarm under the dash. Could the wire being pulled out prevent it from starting? In the past, now that I think of it my foot has pulled the connector out when I first go the car and if I'm not mistaken it would not start until I plugged it back in.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is very likey, make sure the plug is installed, then it should start, if the battery is charged up,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll check it when I get home, sorry for the delayed response had a quick meeting with the owner of my business
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

pLEASE DONT FORGET TO RATE ME AS IT IS THE ONLY WAY i GET CREDIT FOR HELPING, YOU CAN ALWAYS RETURN TO THIS QUESTION AND ASK FOLLOW UPS AT NO CHARGE,THANKS,TI

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was not the alarm system. Could it be a problem with the throttle body? I scanned the codes: P2104 & P2112.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it could be, it may be flooded, can you put the gas pedal all the way to the floor, and hold it there when cranking, and see if it starts eventually? this is the clear flood mode,Tim