James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I had a viper remote start installed in my 2005 ford 150

Customer Question

I had a viper remote start installed in my 2005 ford 150 about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I it worked fine. Then had a back up camera installed and it worked fine. Lately the back up camera quite working so I took it back to the person who put in the back up camera. He looked at it and could not figure how to fix it. After that the speakers on the radio quite working and when I tuned off the engine the starter would try to engage. I took it to the Ford dealer and they disconnected the remote start and the back up camera and everything works. Also a few months ago I had a new alternator installed. Then after I started having these problems I also had a bad battery that I had replaced. Any thoughts
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I just want to verify. Are you wondering if these issues caused your battery to fail?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No wondering if I have a problem with my wiring wit backup camera or remote start
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

That is hard to determine without being there. With the remote start disconnected and the revserse camera works. I would suspect the issue of the remote start causing the issue. Especially if the remote starter is trying to engage the starter when you turn the key off.