rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2000 F250 7.3 acts likeI turned it iff and back on. Just

Customer Question

2000 F250 7.3 acts likeI turned it iff and back on. Just seems to miss a beat. If not in gear it will quit. If while driving just hiccups. No codes. Dealer test shows nothing. Happens only occasionally.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

I would test the ignition switch by your description. It sounds like it is trying to turn off on you.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was having problems with the site. Customer service thinks they fixed the problem. So here I am. Are you still on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wrote earlier that if there was an intermittent problem with the ignition switch, wouldn't the dash idiot lights flash on during the intermittent open circuit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I'm not getting any response and don't know why I am going to click the "call me" button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turns that costs extra. So please respond soon.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I'm here, please be patient as I am helping other customers too. The idiot lights won't always go on if the switch is bad. Again, I will get back to you ASAP. Multiple posts doesn't make it happen any sooner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll wait.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

The switch needs to be checked first, seeing that it's the most likely cause for this problem.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link for future reference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does one "check" the ignition switch? If I wiggle the swith/key while the engine is running nothing unusual happens. The engine continues as normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you heard of this particular problem on ford diesels before?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Not just diesels, but many cars and trucks with a bad switch or connection. It needs to be checked electrically and physically.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I check it? For instance, are there terminals I can connect my DVM to to check for continuity? Is there a diagram online to help with this? Please advise how to do this.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you need to remove the steering wheel, air bag and clock spring to access the switch. You do need a special tool for removing the wheel and a scan tool to disable the airbag. If you are not equipped with these tools, you won't be able to do this yourself. You would use a DVOM to check for continuity while moving wires around seeking a break.

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pretty much have to get the dealer to remove the switch to check it? Can't be accessed from under the dash? Outside of the ignition switch, what else might be the cause?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Any qualified shop can do this, it doesn't have to be the dealer. I can't think of any other cause.

Thanks again, and please don;t forget to rate me and keep this link for future reference.