Dr.carz
Dr.carz, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 year ford master tech. ase master cert. 3 yrs independant shop.
35496794

Had an engine light indicating and EGR issue, as I crossed

Customer Question

Had an engine light indicating and EGR issue, as I crossed country to colorado the light went away and I no longer am getting a code for ear however I am now pulling the codes P0136, P1131 and P1151. Recently had heater core replaced which you helped with
some issues, that has been resolved needed a second system flush. Had the oil filter adapter gasket replaced as well Yesterday. I have read that those codes may be caused by a vacuum leak or the PCV how likely is that? Also when the from heater core is replaced
is there anything they might do to affect the rear passenger controls for heat and ac or that affects the air flow to overhead vents?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you remember what the EGR code was? The code number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not remember the exact code # ***** it was something to do with insufficient air flow, EGR valve was tested and is okay as well as sensor and another component. I believe there is or was a blockage in the intake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also checked for vacuum lines, I found a leak that leads to heater core at a T shaped component that was fixed checked today for other leaks and did not find any
Expert:  Dr.carz replied 1 year ago.

On the back of the air intake horn find the vacuum lines that attach to the pcv is it soft and spongy if so replace, when vacuum hits this it sucks closed and results in a hole usually. Follow all the way down to the passenger valve cover to the PCV and look closely. These codes relate to system lean fault with could be caused also from exhaust leak, or a dirty Mass Air Flow sensor which I would remove at the air filter area and spray the 2 little wires in the sensor visible by looking down into the tube with engine and key off. let air dry and then start the truck with same can of cleaner lightly spray around the intake area and listen for a change in the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check the PCV line tomorrow when it is light out, I did have a lean code on bank1 for a bit but it is gone now. What should I spray on MAF sensor? Anything in particular? Are these codes something that has to be fixed immediately? Is it harmful to drive with these codes? seems to me no but again I am more of a "shade tree mechanic"
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

At a parts store they make CRC mass air flow cleaner that works well. Once the mass air is cleaned you want to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to reset the fuel trim tables. As stated earlier the rubber hose on the back of the intake. If you look at your EGR pressure sensor it is on the driver side of the intake. You will see two hoses coming from the exhaust. These high temp hoses can become brittle and break. Also if this sensor is aluminum it can rust out. They have been redesigned and are plastic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressure sensor hoses are good also has a new sensor on it
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the info. If any vacuum hoses are brittle you will want to replace them as well.

Expert:  Dr.carz replied 1 year ago.

as needed yes.

Expert:  Dr.carz replied 1 year ago.

Lets leave the egr alone no codes at this time pertain to this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay Checked PCV line, line felt good however it came off back of intake easily looks to have melted, I'll be replacing it. I also found another line that appeared dry rotted went from intake to looks like part of the brakes system was a formed hose with a plastic lining. replaced with a 3/8 hose as a temp replacement is a formed hose absolute?Ran codes again this morning and nothing stored in computer.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

That's good. Sounds like you have repaired your concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
EGR P1408 is code I am getting at the moment, PCV hose line won't be available until tomorrow
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You said the EGR pressure sensor is plastic and not aluminum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was replaced along with ear and another component, was able to get all three Motocraft parts for under 100 so replaced them all, still have the originals in a box in the garage
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Ok so I'm guessing you repaired the EGR code then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not the P1408, doesn't show up on generic OBD2 scan, when I go to ford on scan tool and run the KOER test that is when I am getting the P1408 code
Expert:  Dr.carz replied 1 year ago.

SO WHAT IS GOING ON HERE I WAS REQUESTED IN ON THIS AND SEEM TO HAVE THE RIGHT INFO AND THERFORE SHOULD BE THE ONE RESPONDING.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That is factual, I did request Dr Carz specifically due to his familiarity from a prior instance
Expert:  Dr.carz replied 12 months ago.

Thank You I am going to look into this dtc.

Expert:  Dr.carz replied 12 months ago.

Lets check the Egr system pretty straight forward system by the looks of it you can see some data if so great and if you can do some active commands even better. The Egr needs to be checked for vacuum which controls the operation of the valve, follow the green line back to regulator and locate red line at regulator this line is vacuum at all times with engine running. Check vacuum on red hose if good then we need to check the green line to the valve(vacuum pump would be very handy) or run a jumper hose from the red to the green at the regulator and if you leave valve connected with engine running should stumble almost/may stall the engine. if so then we need to look at DPFE pids. If no stumble the remove line and check for vacuum with jumper installed engine running and green line removed from egr valve. If vacuum is there and valve ops seem good then the port in air horn may be plugged, the air horn must me removed to cleaned properly! Not a bad job to do if the case let me know what you find and we can go from there. All these test apply for a vacuum pump tests just no need for jumper or engine running, also if you connect at egr valve during KOER test and monitor gauge will verify vacuum system, let me know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Would a leaky PCV line/hose potentially cause this code? Mine was shot have a replacement that i will put in tomorrow, I messed with Vacuum issue on a different car before. Ill work on trouble shooting tomorrow weather permitting.If you recall on last issue with heater core the rear overhead vents and controls weren't working, well they are now, I randomly switched them on and they started working. weird, I am sure there is a short or fault somewhere. HEAT is now working fully as well, a second flush pushed out more gunk
Expert:  Dr.carz replied 12 months ago.

Good deal sounds like the vacuum repairs are fixing this one. The pcv system unless causing an excessive vacuum leak and the engine could barely run then yes they could be related to egr. Follow these steps with vacuum pump

1. locate regulator and check red line for vacuum if good then proceed
  2. check green hose to egr valve
  3. pump up egr valve should stumble engine and hold vacuum
  4. if engine stumbles we need to see the voltage of DPFE sensor with scan tool
  5. If no stumble and valve holds vacuum and you can hear it activate remove the air intake horn just the upper part that the vacuum lines and duct work go into and you will find a plugged passage for egr flow.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
very cold today, Ill see what i can do, Not sure my scan tool can read voltage of DPFE, its an innovate 3100i, newly purchased so i am still learning it and its functionality.I highly suspect blocked passage in air intake however I will perform tests before I tackle its removal
Expert:  Dr.carz replied 12 months ago.

Sounds good keep me posted.

Expert:  Dr.carz replied 12 months ago.

Any updated info on the truck?

Expert:  Dr.carz replied 11 months ago.

How is the Expedition doing? Have not heard from you.

Expert:  Dr.carz replied 11 months ago.

Please remember to Accept and Rate My services.