A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2008 F-150 super cab, dome light does not come on when the

Customer Question

2008 F-150 super cab, dome light does not come on when the door is opened. Dome light does work when switched on. Does not come on when rolling dimmer wheel to the top. Bed lamp comes on when the doors open. Bed lamp comes on when rolling the dimmer switch to the top.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Does the door ajar light come on in the cluster when you open a any door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cargo light comes on with any open door.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Is this in the over head console or is it just a single dome light in your truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking that it is just the single dome lite in the middle of the ceiling. The map lights in the overhead console work when you push them on but do not come on when the door is opened. I was assuming that the only light that should come on is the single dome light. There is only one bulb in that assembly and it works when you slide the switch to on.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The front maps lights should come on when the door is opened also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not taken off the overhead console. Is that the next thing to try?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Check fuses #21 and #24 in the dash fuse box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuses 21 and 24 are good.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

What wire are you getting power on?
The black wire or the green wire at the light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to check tomorrow.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I'll be at work at my dealership tomorrow. I'll get an email when you reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can, depending on how busy the shop is. If not, I'll be back online tomorrow evening when I get off of work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The green wire is hot at the light.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The green wire is constant power for switched lights. I read that the cargo light comes on when switched and when a door is opened. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Can you post a picture of this dome light in your F150?

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The inside dome light and the cargo lights run off the same circuit for the door ajar switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the light. I tried to capture a picture of the switch as well.Its like something is unplugged. I get power to the green wire all the time. I do not get power to the other wire when the door is opened.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The black wire with the light blue stripe should have power when any door is opened. Check and see if you get power on that same wire at the cargo light. You will have to remove the light from the outside the cab. If you get power at the cargo light, then use a digital volt meter and set it to OHMS. Then disconnect the battery and unplug the cargo light and the dome light and check the resistance in the black/light blue striped wire between the two lights. This will check and see if the wire is intact and not broken.