Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

97 f150 4x4 issues

Customer Question

97 f150 4x4 issues
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

If the lights are not coming on then the transfer case should not be engaging. Does it engage into low range resulting in low gear to the rear axle?

Are there stored 4x4 trouble codes?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a manual shift for the transfer case so yes it engages as you shift through the gears. low also engages the rear axel. the issue is that there is no ground signal being sent to the solenoids that would in turn send vacuum to the actuator that would engage the front diff. Lights on dash dont come on till the front end engages from what i have read. also no trouble codes, no check engine light etc.

Thanks, ***** ***** come on when the transfer case shifts, then the front axle locks in. We need to test the switch on the transfer case that tells the GEM module the transfer case position.

Verify the sensor and transfer case is a good no resistance ground to the frame.

4x2 no wires to the switch are grounded.

4x4 high gray wire is grounded

4x4 high the gray and light blue/black wires are grounded.

Test the switch as well as remotely ground these wires to see if the GEM is getting the signal and turning on the 4x4 lights.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the switch located on the transfer case?

It faces the front axle near where the manual linkage connects.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it the sensor with the ball baring in it?

That is correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i removed it and got a resistance reading when pressing in the barring. It does not stick. this is what i thought the problem was but thought i got past that. I will check here shortly if there is a ground connection being made. Am i checking the wire coming from to the sensor or the leads out of the sensor once placed into position?

You can check either the wire while connected or the pins on the sensor while not connected to confirm the switch is working right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i assume i am checking ohms against a frame ground to make sure there is not a ground fault?

Correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now im more confusedchecked the voltage on the wire going to the sensor with the key on truck not running and one side was 5v the other was 12v. checked the sensor and the bottom pin going to the "white" maybe gray but looks white to me was grounded in all positions. top pin going to green wire with black stripe "maybe blue/black" never grounded. tried to ground cable directly in both sides and neither turned on the 4x4 light on the dash. light flashes on when first starting truck like the rest of them.

Your test indicated the switch is bad, but it appears you have a GEM module issue as well since you were not able to get the 4x4 lights on with remote grounding. Your next step will be a new switch installed. Do you need to see a diagram on how it works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will get a switch from ford tomorrow and follow up from there. unless i can get it cheaper from pep boys or another auto parts store

I doubt the switch is in stock much less sold aftermarket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have a part number by chance?

Its 7E440

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to pick up part now. will reply back shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
installed. Ground readings from sensor are now correct. Light on dash not coming on and 4wd not engaging. front driveshaft is engaging from the transfer case when shifted into gear but front diff is not.

Thanks, ***** ***** have to get the GEM to turn on the lights. It will only turn on the lights when it realizes you have shifted the transfer case. Once the lights come on, the GEM should command the front axle to engage. So now we need to see if these 2 signal wires going to the GEM are broken, and if not then its the GEM that is faulty. If diagrams from Ford would better assistance I can upload those in private contact since everything written so far here is public.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im not looking to spend any more money or leave feedback until i resolve my issue. let me know how you would like to proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is my next electrical test.

The next test is to access the GEM module connector wires. Disconnect the 2 wires prior tested at the switch, and unplug the switch. OHM test these wires at both ends and see if there is no resistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am i testing the resistance between the 2 leads on the plug that goes into the sensor i just replaced?

You are unplugging the GEM and sensor and testing the wires to see if they are broken. Both wires should have no resistance and no continuity to each other, power, or ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Havent had time to pull fuse panel to access gem module to test resistance, but i tried to reach up there and make sure everything was plugged in tight and now the low gear light on the dash comes on just not the 4x4 light. front driveshaft still locks in both 4hi and 4lo. any other tests that i can do without pulling them gem out to access the connectors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also tested the connectors to the battery saver relay. Power to bottom right pin is 12v, ground is good at top right. I read this is a quick check to verify if the gem is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also curious how both wires would hold correct voltage if they are broken?

There are no voltage tests on these wires needing to be done.

Part of the GEM could fail and other sections of it still work fine, the battery saver relay test alone does not confirm the GEM is good.

Let me know once you have completed these wire tests, then we have about a dozen more tests we can do from the Ford pinpoint test for this concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a way to access the gem through the side of the dash by removing the panel or do i have to entirely remove the fuse panel to access it for testing?

You will have to remove the fuse box to get to the GEM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was afraid of that. will follow up when i have time to do it. not going to be a short test. can you give me the next few steps as far as testing goes. i have a wiring diagram already depicting the pins on the gem that i need to test for continuity to the position sensor. im sure it gives me other locations or i can find them if need be.

Next is to see if the GEM module has any codes stored. There are 25 tests in all. If there are codes we can avoid doing 11 of them. Just a heads up the post will time out on the 14th.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes thrown. I will test gem this weekend. Im not sure what you mean by timeout as my problem is not resolved. Sorry not trying to be a dick but not going to submit feedback or agree to payment without a solution(satisfaction guarantee). i could have used a forum for free. I have no issue with payment or even extra if it is resolved but am skeptical of things i have not used before...I.E. this site.

The site gives us 7 days to get a post rated. If that time passes then the post is removed from our active list. Which means you reply and I never see it because the post was deemed not resolved or rated. That is the way the site is setup, which i am not an employee of, they collect your deposit on the 1st day your here. Techs are not paid from that till a rating is done.

It appears you closed your post, so thanks for letting me try to help, best of luck to you.