Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2000 ford 150. the left rear brake light, turn signal and

Customer Question

2000 ford 150 . the left rear brake light , turn signal and hazard not working. Bulb is good. the left front turn signal and hazard flash is good . the trailer plug has no issues with brake light or turn signal
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** black wire at bulb should have ground at all times and the light green/orange should have power when pressing on the brakes. Check both and let me know what is missing. It sounds like problem is ground or bulb, keep me updated. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ground good ,, with the bulb removed i have 11.7 dcv when i install the bulb the voltage drops millivolts. went to the other tail light , unplugged the socket and installed it with its bulb in the side with the issue and the problem is still there . i installed the socket and bulb that i was having the issue with and put it on the good side and it works fine
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Voltage dropping points toward poor connection. Pierce wire about 3 inches back so you can monitor voltage on wire while using brakes instead of connector. If voltage remains good on wire when pressing brakes that would mean bulb connector is the problem. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still have voltage drop , ground has be good because the tail light works good since they use the same ground , was thinking about the signal switch itself but the front blinker works fine ,
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The signal switch wouldn't cause this, it sounds like a wiring problem. The brown wire is actually the one for brakes too. What is voltage on brown wire while pressing brakes both with bulb plugged and unplugged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0 volts -- bulb in or out just like the other side, brown wire should be for tail lights
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It looks like brown is for the brake lights according to my wire daigram. On other side does brown have voltage when pressing brake lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

But the green wire has voltage when pressing brakes? Sorry about questions, diagrams just are not that straight forward. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
green wire has 12v when you press the pedal if the bulb is not in. goes to millivolt if the bulb is in
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Green wire gets signal from the multifuntion/turn signal switch. So next step is to access wire at switch to see if voltage drops when pressing brakes, if so switch is problem. If not wiring between switch and bulb is problem. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.