Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

How do I open a 1997 Ford F150 LowRider bed cap with the

Customer Question

How do I open a 1997 Ford F150 LowRider bed cap with the lock levers separated from the cables/rods? unknown which one
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can you may have to see into the holes or access slots to see if you can pull or push on the release.This may take a wire coat hanger or similar to release this here.If this was already attempted or is attempted with no success let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that with no success so I cut a 2 inch hole near the left latch and was able to hook a line that look like electrical wiring and its tied to something that doesn't move. That's the side that quit working first and when I was trying to open it I heard the other side drop off and it quit working. I'm afraid of breaking the other end of that line until I know for sure that is the latch it's attached to the latch than I'll try a little harder. Thank You for getting back me.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess no one has a solution to this problem. It's still unknown to me which way I should go now because another mechanic looked at it too. After 30 years in the business I thought things changed since my retirement 15 years ago but they haven't. I just had not dealt with a bed cap of this nature and need to know what type of lock linkage it has so that I can go forward with this.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

If I understand you correct, you are working on a truck that has a hard cap cover over the bed? And does the tailgate not open, or have the handles been shaved?

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

You can attach pictures here if necessary, just click on the paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tailgate is being stopped by the cap. It will not open. I'll try and send you some pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel my call request and all requests for answers to my question. Also I am requesting a refund of $64.00 for I received no answer. Thank You: ***** XXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** my last post. W. Bruce XXX
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

I can help you, but I need more detailed information, if you would like I will call you to get more info and we can work together to solve your issue.