AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD. Problem #1: When I'm

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD.
Problem #1: When I'm driving at slow speeds, the brake pedal pulsates and I hear and feel a buzzing sound. Upon braking during the buzzing sound the truck will pull to the driver side. ABS light is not on.
Problem #2: While under moderate load or traveling uphill I hear a hard clunking noise from driver side. Thought it could be CV Axle shaft.
Could these two problems be connected?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. YES, these two problems can be related. The buzzing your hearing is the ABS pump kicking in because one of the wheel speed sensors is dropping out during low speeds. This could be a bad sensor or it could be an issue with the ABS tone ring depending on where it is on this design. You will have to look. It might be on the axle (which would make sense and explain the noise) or it could be on/in the wheel bearing.. which can also cause both problems.. if the wheel bearing is loose. Good luck!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance? Please let me know and I will be happy to help!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

.