Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 Ford Windstar following parts replaced new

Customer Question

plugs.wires.coil pack EGR valve , fuel filter. Isolator bolts and new intake manifold gaskets
MAF giving proper voltage DPFE giving good voltgage, EGR vacum solenoid working
intake manifold inside EGR ports cleaned
Issue Cranks and idle good until reaching operating temperature. When idle drops below 1000 rpm the engine has a knock and slight power drop.. Engine also has lower power and does the knock when accelerating code 171 occasionally will appear
Checked vacuum leaks and could not located any ( used water first and then smoke)
Need suggestions
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pressure is 32 PSI Key on Engine off 30 psi engine running at 3200 rpm
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting the Baro reading in the computer and your ZIP code? Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MY Zip code is 30047 Not sure what a Baro reading is?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

The Baro reading is the barometric reading in the computer. You can access this with your scanner reading live data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to read the Baro pressure My scanner is a Actron AutoScanner about two years old
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

It should be under live data. It should be labled as BARO

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The BARO listing is in my instruction booklet but I can not get a reading on the scanner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I updated my scanner with a down load from actron but still can not get a BARRO reading
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! Do you only have one data list that you cna choose from in your scanner?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

It might be displayed in "inHG" it.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

IT may say pressure. IF it stays baro, the reading should be about 30

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ***** got delayed I also have a 2008 Mercury Sable my scanner read the Barro pressure nor problem at 29 4 I saw your note about other possible labels for the BARRO I iwll recheck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rechecked the Windstar with the scanner and saw not numbers under pressure or any number in the 28 to 30 range for the barometric pressure. Could the van hava a bad barro sensor?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Barometric reading is a calculated parameter put together by the computer from Various inputs. I have not seen a barrel sensor on this vehicle before. The baro reading is in there we just need to find it.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

It might say pressure reading or something like that. Because after all atmospheric air does put some sort of pressure on physical objects.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree But for some reason I do not see anything on my scanner that looks like a barometric pressure . As I said it was the fifth read on the Mercury sable. I can check one time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one more time. maybe have someone with another scanner check would have to be at an auto parts store car looses power and does the knock when traveling. Closet store is about 4 miles away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if driving the van would do harm to the engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the engine is running and a hand vacuum pump is attached to the ERG valve and the car starts to get low idle and knock when I apply 5 HG of vacuum TO the ERG valve the engine increase RPM and does not knock. As I mentioned earlier the knock is not constant but will knock and then run for 15 to 20 seconds and knock again
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Can you send me a video?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you want a video of. If I can yes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

This knocking sound you are talking about.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Also, send me a video of you scrolling through the live data on your scanner if you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will probably tomorrow before I can but I will trty
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good no problem.