Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Hooked up new selenoid. When touching neg wire 2 battery it

Customer Question

Hooked up new selenoid. When touching neg wire 2 battery it sparks bad enough 2 make mark on post. What have I done wrong?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

New solenoid for what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, great. Now, is this the starter solenoid on the starter itself or a solenoid/relay not on the starter itself?

Also, what engine came in this and does this have an automatic or manual transmission?

Did you double-check that the solenoid wiring was installed back on the correct terminals?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relay, Automatic, 4.9 ltr, 6 cyl. My instructions were starter cable o fartherest from batt & batt cable with remaining wires on other. I have now switched & no longer tearing up batt, but still not turning over.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, was this the reason that you replaced the relay/solenoid in the first place, because the starter wouldn't work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turn key on no noise cept hum of fuel pump & faint single dull click. Lights come on & van will not jump srart. No spark from old solenoid.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If it was, does that relay click when you turn the key to start? If not, you might have a bad neutral safety switch on the transmission. Remove that relay and test the prongs in the socket for voltage when the key is turned from off to start. There should be one prong hot all the time and an additional hot when the key is turned to start.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Is this "faint single dull click" coming from that relay you just replaced? can you reach it or have someone else turn the key to start while you touch the relay and feel if it is what is clicking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the click is coming from new relay.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then voltage is reaching it. Is the battery fully charged up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was & it is starting fuel pump & lights.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

wait, you tried a jump start and it still won't crank over? I believe you have a bad starter! Unless the cable from the relay to the starter is loose, shorted.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt test light in order to test for voltage at the starter?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If so or if not, you can usually purchase either for $5 or so almost anywhere. Then test for battery voltage (12 volts) at the terminal on the starter when the key is turned to start and be sure the vehicle is in park, with parking brake applied firmly.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If not repair or replace that wire from the relay to the starter. If it's just loose, tighten it up. If there is 12 volt there, remove the starter and replace it but first have it bench testd at the auto-parts store.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If the starter checks out good, then answer me this. Did the engine die when running? If so, check the motor oil level and see if the engine turns over by hand. Maybe the engine seized up but I doubt it or you would have probably said the engine made noise, smoked or died.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ohmetter is not with me. My wires r connected firmly 2 starter. Take me awhile get 2 town & back.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

No, not ohmmeter, voltmeter, although most are multi-meters.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

any news?