Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 with the 4.0 V-6 motor--I have

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 with the 4.0 V-6 motor--I have had new plugs and plug wires put in, a new Gas Filter, I change the oil every 2500 (I've only had this truck for about 6 months) and it still useage wise is bad--I can watch the gas gauge move when I drive it about 20-28 miles. Someone told me about a OXYGEN SENSOR is bad--I don't even know where that is and if it would help with gas mileage. Can you help in this problem ???? Thank you Wayne
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Randall. You actually have 3 o2 sensors, 2 are in the exhaust pipes before the cat converter, 1 is after the cat converter, The job of the o2 sensors is to kind of smell the exhaust, So the first 2 tell the computer the air fuel mixture before the cat converter, the other o2 tells the computer what air fuel is after the cat converter, so,, what they do is adjust fuel ratio and help to reduce the emissions, Yes, 100% if one is bad? fuel mileage can be affected, There are int he exhaust pipes, they get unplugged then unscrewed from the pips with special wrench, Since truck is 15 years old, very likely one or all o2 sensors could be bad, They just do not last the life of a vehicle,The only way to test them is have truck hooked to a full scanner and a tech views live data from them,I lean to o2 sensors, sure , they can affect gas mileage as well as truck is likely do for them due to age, Here is a link showing locations, # ***** and #6 are the sensors in the exhaust pipes