Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

Have a 2005 Ford F-150 5.4 triton fx4. Has no power very

Customer Question

Have a 2005 Ford F-150 5.4 triton fx4.
Has no power very sluggish acts like misfiring.
Codes 171 174 came up also misfires on several .
Thought it was a clogged cat had it checked by muffler shop showed me both very clean. Replaced 2 ignition coils and still runs no better. Finally took it to ford dealer. They said change plugs .700 bucks to change plugs told them I will do it myself. Changed all of them with motocraft. No better runs the same. Cleaned MAF sensor checked pcv. Don't have the money to just take to ford dealer to have them to rack up an outrageous bill. Today I checked for vacume leaks didn't seeem to find any. The only thing I can think of is weak fuel pump or maybe some clogged injectors. Or a vac leak I have missed. Any ideas would be very helpful. If I have to take back to the dealer I will but I know the are going to charge crazy money. Any suggestions would be very helpful thank you. I have owned ford trucks my whole life and have never had one stump me like this.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

First run a fuel pressure test, then take a can of carb cleaner and spray all edges of the intake manifold, codes indicate very lean on both banks of the engine, usually caused by low fuel pressure. This vehicle has an inline fuel filter on the drivers side frame rail under the truck, about where drivers door is, If fuel pressure is normal and no vacuum leaks found, remove the EGR valve and check to see if it is stuck open with carbon. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.