Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1990 F250 ford diesel with tilt steering wheel. Starter

Customer Question

1990 F250 ford diesel with tilt steering wheel. Starter would not engage and could not shift out of park. Truck would start with jump to solenoid. I find that the shift has a mechanical interlock. Dose it also have a solenoid interlock? After some disassembly (I ruined the lock in the process) I realized that the mechanical interlock was broken at the attachment point to the square switch pull shaft. I had to pull the shift lock farther out than would happen with the key lock before I could shift. I can manually activate the switch with the pull shaft and start the engine. I am concerned that replacing the lock cylinder and the manual shift lock shaft that the problem will not be corrected.
Please advise, Orville
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you are engaging the starter manually with the ignition electrical switch on the column? the ignition tumbler isnt moving the ignition switch? You are moving the shifter how?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is resolved and I am in the process of purchasing the needed parts.Thank you.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very good.