camerontech
camerontech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger with 4.0 engine 4x4 was smelling

Customer Question

i have a 2001 Ford Ranger with 4.0 engine 4x4 was smelling fuel and fuel on ground i was able to get a peak and could see that 1 of the plastic fittings on top of fuel pump was spraying fuel. When i was lowering fuel tank it fell off floor jack and broke other plastic fittings i have been able to fix the fittings and use rubber fuel line and hose clamps. However i can not figure out how the lines hook up i have tryed many different ways but i can not grt it to start at one point i was able to get it to start but would not go above 3000rpm. I was hopeing that you had a diagram that would show me where each line on top of fuel pump goes. Also i can hear the fuel pump come on and also have reset the safety button that stops fuel in a accident. No auto part store have a diagram they just wont to sell me a new fuel pump but i still would not know where lines hook up. Hope you can help. Thank you Donnie Berry
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

This is a picture of the fuel line hookup on the 4.0 ranger.Cant be more specifc han that, these pumps fail often so since it took a hit and is damaged it would be ideal for you to replace the pump. We typically pull the bed off to make it easier to gain access to the top of the tank and replace the fuel pump. The fuel lines should automatically lay in place on top of the tank to each connection to the fuel pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cut of the ends of the fuel lines where the horse shaped clips go for they where broke as well so i dont know how to match up where they would hook up so even if i get a new fuel pump this diagram does not show me where each line goes. Do you have a diagrah that would show me from what you sent me where each line goes. Thanks you Donnie.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Thats the only illustration I can find short of you buying a pump you really need to fix this correctly, or it can be a fire hazzard if you develop a fuel leak, like I said these pumps fail often.

Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech,

IS this what you are looking for?

you will have to follow the pressure line and return from the raiil to the pump, but this is where they plug in.

the other are for emmission evap and will stor a code if installed wrong. they will not cause a running issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i hit wrong button and thought i lost everthing i do have 2 more questions how do i know which one is the pressure line it has 1 line that comes from the injector rail to front of fuel filter then 2 fuel lines comeing out back of filter so with the 2 comeing back to fuel pump how can i find out which one is pressure line ? And from the rail to the pump.how do i trace the return. THANKS ever thing so far has been great help if i can get these 2 i think we hit a home run. Tanks agian be waiting to hear from you.

im having a little trouble locating those lines in a diagram.

I will have to hit my other program i have at work tommorow.

can I have your VIN please

thanks and i will see what i can get tommorow as i think you will need the entire fuel system diagram

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure no problem the vin is1FTZR15E1PB01078 dont know if it is of any help but it wasmanufactured 03 of 01. Thanks again and hope you have a good night. Donnie.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ihave not heard from you this a.m. was checking to see if you are able to grt a more in depth diagram? Thanks Don xxxxxx e-mail***@******.***. Also wont to add that i will go ahead and ger new pump as you suggest. Thanks again.....

sorry for the delay, busiest time of year at the shop.

I requested a diagram straight from the ford dealer, with your VIN.

it doesnt look like yours with the triple tube fuel filter.

I have included it for you to have a look at.

as for why... i cant answer, this is straight from ford with your vin give. This is all of the documents that I think you will be able to find.

so... I think you have to options to figure out your line system

IT looks like you will have to get creative to match your lines.

My recomendation is to go to the wrecking yard and ask for a "complete fuel line" system including the fuel filter. or if they let you, have a look around the scrap yard and take a few pictures of the system. I think this is the best way to go

or

i have included another pic of your fuel filter and if you notice that the one line is just a little smaller than the other, this one goes in the middle, while the slightly larger one is of to the side. there is always a slightly larger tube for identification purposes.

I dont think there will be anymore information available, unless you go bug your local dealer for mercey, lol.

my shoes i would hit the scrap yard and pick a whole new line system up.

cam