HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

My fusion 2007 seat belts are not engaging in restraining

Customer Question

My fusion 2007 seat belts are not engaging in restraining when the brakes are applied. This just started occurring today.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, is the airbag light on currently or any other warning light since this concern has started? The belt wont lock up when you make a panic stop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the airbag light is not on... or any other warning light. As I transported my daughter to school this morning, the belt DID lock up as I had to make a little more aggressive stop for a light that turned red (not quite panic, just mildly aggressive). However, the usual hold that it has when I gently apply the brakes is not happening.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, so the system is working during a hard stop, so question would be is it both front belts having the issue or just one. A diagnostic check for codes of the supplemtental restraint system(Airbag) system should be done to make sure no pending codes are stored and check to see if there is an intermittent fault with one of the pretensioners for the seat belts or issue with the seat belt retractors not locking properly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be driving again this afternoon and will be sure to note whether it is just one seat belt or both.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very good, if its only one seat belt causing trouble, it could be a weak seat belt retractor mechanism