NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master
21564301

Just all the sudden my 6.9 ford diesel has a problem in

Customer Question

Just all the sudden my 6.9 ford diesel has a problem in keeping running after start. I sarts right up, and dies out after running about 30 seconds. Sounds like it is just running out of fuel, and will not re start.
The only I can get it started again is to use starting fluid, after that it starts the rest of the day, unless it is very cold and sets for 5-6 hours.
Category: Ford
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 1 year ago.

Hi, your high pressure pump, or also known as an injection pump has failed. This basically controls everything on your 6.9.

Now during replacement, I recommend finding the highest quality pump you can find. A lot on the shelf of parts houses that are worn out, or stuck just from sitting. Best bet is always having your original pump rebuilt by a local reputable diesel shop. I have replaced up to 5 at one time before doing what I recommend. Had a good diesel shop repair the original and was good to go.

Not much to these engines, this pump basically controls everything.