jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

Battery stopped charging on my 1986 ford f 150 v 6 pickup

Customer Question

Battery stopped charging on my 1986 ford f 150 v 6 pickup replaced alternator starter silanod both battery cables turn ignation key it dose nothing what have I missed
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery stopped charging on my 1986 ford...
Battery stopped charging on my 1986 ford f 150 v 6 pickup replaced alternator starter silanod both battery cables turn ignation key it dose nothing what have I missed also had the started tested the starter tested good
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

have you checked the fusible links near the solinoid and going to the alternator ?

do you have bat voltage at the bigger wire at the alternator ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but I will tis afternoon
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

ok, yeash, if there is no power at the alt it shows that there may be a fusible link issue .usually you can see a bad link ,sometimes you can pull at both sides and the wire may stretch on one side as you oull or use a volt meter or test light on each side of the link to test for power .it should show power on both sides ..jazzmaster ..

if I helped you please rate me positive and we can still go on if needed ,this is the only way I reveive a credit ,thank you ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the fuse able links are all good so far no one has this right
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

do you have bat voltage to the alternator ? to the solenoid ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

when you turn the key to run do you have lights in the dash as you normally do ?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I am just checking back .

If I helped please rate me positive and we can still continue if needed .

this is the only way I receive credit for the question ..thank you ...jazzmaster ...

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry but you answers did not fix the problem. It was a broken wire on the ignition switch that took me two days to trace. but it is fixed now. Thanks for trying

ok, that's why I had asked about the dash lights coming on ,to see if you were getting voltage to and from the switch ,,but you didn't reply back ..anyways glad you found the issue ..jazzmaster ..