James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I am working on a ford f350 with 6 litre diesel 2004. I have

Customer Question

I am working on a ford f350 with 6 litre diesel 2004 . I have 25 years experience. The engine starts missing at 2500 rpm . It serges as though it would have a rev limiter. White smoke comes out of exhaust only when engine is missing. If you back off on trottle engine runs fine and runs fine at idle. I hear a back pressure sound in air breather. I had a code for egr. I inspected egr valve and looks good. Can youm help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when you removed the EGR valve. Did you open the valve plates to see if it returns closed or stays open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I open plates it springs back closed.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Ok I would suspect you have one or more faulty injectors. In order to find them while driving using an enhanced power balance test from a Ford scan tool is the best. It can monitor which injector is failing while under load. You can also try running an injector Cetane boost from motorcraft to see if this clears up your issues. It can take up to 50 miles of driving after using the additive to work. If an injector is sticking due to fuel this additive works amazing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I used my snap on modis. When I kill number 5 injector @ 2200 rpm there is no change. At idle number 5 is putting out power. Do you think an intake valve is floating due to a weak or broken spring? It sounds like there is a back pressure in breather. All other cylinders are puting out power @ 2200 rpm. There is enough white smoke to cover the back of the truck when exciding 2500 rpm.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you hear a loud popping noise through the intake it's valve train related. Usually the misfire at higher rpm is an injector that is just beginning to fail.