Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2005 explorer 4.0 sohc. After putting in new battery. It

Customer Question

2005 explorer 4.0 sohc.
After putting in new battery. It started funny
Light came on then after a while went off.
Now when I start..it will start quickly then idle will fall
Like it going to quit..then it will recover and run as usual. No codes or lights. 120k.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if you did not unhook any sensors in doing the repair, all back as original, this can be normal. When you remove battery power from the PCM, the PCM has to re learn base stratagies like idle control, To do so requires a little time and patience. There are a couple ways to do this, the easiest being, drive the truck, Drive under differnt speeed and conditions, say 30+ min, each time you come to a stop, hold the speed so engine does not stall, ease up on gas pedal some at the stop, slowly ease up on the pedal till you can take your foot off and it stays running, Then take off and drive around some more, Over some short time the computer will eventually re learn the base idle and the computer can then control the idle, Hard to explain,Its all about drive cycles, different speeds, holding the idel so no stall, then it will relelarn, A couple times after this, shut engine off, start back up and drive a short distance, At some point it will maintain the idle and smooth out and will go back to normal. This is all normal when you remove power to the PCM and it has to re learn

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This happened 500 miles , one month ago
Still falls BUT DOESN'T STALL for about 2 to 3
Seconds
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

soorry, you did not mention this , I assumed it just started and not long time agao so, sounds like dirty throttle body.It has built up gunk and needs cleaned,Remove the air intake hose from the throttle body, get some carb cleaner and gently spray inside the bore, Put hose on , start rev, blow out, and repeat the cleaning like this say 3-4 more times till bore is nice and shiny, then drive, blow the cleaner out and it should go back to non wavering idle etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that. ..would a clogged fuel filter prevent pressure momentarily. ..then recover...
Again it acts like it's going to stall right after cranking...but recovers fine and runs well after.
Thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I really have tried to help but without all the up front information makes it difficult on my end,We have to have all information as we are not there so,, since I am out of thoughts/ideas on this, I will opt out and open the post to the other experts, One should be along as soon as possible to pickup where we left off. Please save the rating of service for the expert that can help with this, Thanks

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Different tech here, would you like me to try and help?

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris