rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

How to replace an alternator on a 1995 Ford E150 van with a

Customer Question

How to replace an alternator on a 1995 Ford E150 van with a 4.9L 6 cylinder engine. I have it loose but the bracket and the radiator are in the way, so I can not remove it. Which item is the easiest to remove at this point?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please use my***@******.*** email address. For some reason, I wasn't able to use it when I asked this question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Willie
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Vans are not fun to do, but you can usually get them out through the bottom. If not, then you will need to pull the radiator. It's like they built the van around the alternator:)

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, through the bottom? I'll ithat, but I think the smog pump is in the way?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Yep it may need to come out too. I told you these weren't fun.LOL

Thanks again, and don't forget to rate me and keep this link just in case you still need more help with this later on.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Be sure to put in a quality alternator if you get my drift. You don't want to do this again any time soon:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron do you have the manufacturer recommendations for removing the alternator on this vehicle?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

All the years I worked at Ford, I took them out from the bottom. Non e of them were fun either. You should be glad you don't have to pull the motor. See attachment.