Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

No wipers

Customer Question

no wipers
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I assume you have already checked fuses and relays?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

1. Check fuses related to the wiper system first, see the attached fuse box layouts with the fuses to check highlighted.

2. If the fuses are ok, but the wipers do not operate at all, access the GEM module connector 239 at the GEM module. See the attached location. It will be the only 26 pin connector plugged into the side of the GEM. Unplug this connector.

3. Once the connector is unplugged, test the wiper switch first, see the attached wiper switch test.

4. If the resistance values are significantly out of range, suspect a failed wiper switch or damaged circuits between the wiper switch and the GEM. Be aware, it is common for pins to pull out of the wiper switch connectors, so be sure to check for wires pulling out of the connector.

5. If the wiper switch tests ok, then perform the wiper relay and motor tests attached to this archive.

6. If either the low speed or high speed does not operate, the circuits to relays, the relays themselves, and the wiper motor will have to be tested.

7. If both the switch test and the wiper relay/motor tests pass, but the wipers will not operate when the GEM is plugged in, remove the GEM from the junction box, then perform the attached power and ground tests to the GEM module.

8. If any of the powers are lost, but the fuses are good, suspect a failed junction box. Repair any grounds as necessary. It is important to note, pin 5 power to the GEM is hot in crank position only.

9. If all the tests have passed, but the GEM will not operate the wipers, suspect a failed GEM module.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Here is how to test the GEM.

Expert:  Jared D replied 12 months ago.

Let me know if you need additional information. I would love to help if you still need assistance.

Don't forget to rate. We don't get paid if we don't get a positive rating.