Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2004 ranger. Dead battery. Drew huge arc when connecting

Customer Question

2004 ranger. Dead battery. Drew huge arc when connecting jumpers. Engine started and ran for ten minutes. Relay click sound around master cylinder/fuse panel.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stalled every 10 seconds for about two miles. Then ran fine. Pulled into Garage at home and emergency brake warning light and abs warning lights are on.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like even though it was jump started the voltage is low in the battery.This will cause the brake and abs lights to come on and set fault codes for low voltage as well as can cause the engine to try and stall out or stall out completely off and on until the battery has a good charge in it.The alternator may not be able to keep up with the electronics using power which will cause the issues here.

I suspect either the battery is weak needing replaced or the alternator is weak and isnt charging as it should causing this fault here.I would have both the alternator and the battery tested to see if either are an issue here needing replaced.A local parts store will usually test these at no cost to you.

I have seen low voltage cause several electrical issues like this here and suspect battery and/or alternator is at fault or that the battery needs to be recharged fully.Once corrected you will have to have a scan tool connected to your vehicle to read out any codes set in any of the computers to see if any need diagnosed or if they just need to be cleared out to turn off any warning lights that remain on after the repair is done.

If the battery and alternator were already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete