HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I just bought a 2001 Ford Focus. The guys didn't really know

Customer Question

Hello, I'm Heather. I just bought a 2001 Ford Focus. The guys didn't really know what was wrong with it and it hasn't been smogged since 2013. It was due for smog last month. It makes noise and shakes while driving it. I have a feeling they reset the check engine auto light manually so the technician wasn't able to give me a code for what's wrong. I'm scared it's the transmission. Any ideas? Thanks for youreading help!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does it run fine at idle and no noises? Did you happen to know what codes were stored when the check engine light was on? When does it make nose,when driving at a certain speed? Is the trans fluid full and look clean/red or smell burnt badly? Which engine is in this vehicle the zetec dual overhead cam engine or SPI 2.0 engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they turned off the check engine light before I even bought it. They verbally told me that it comes on. It hasn't came on yet. It's a zetec engine. And no it doesn't even stop making noise at idle. It constantly is loud and it shakes not bad but it does shake a bit.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok what type of noise, like a groaning,belt/pulley type of noise?Or knocking?Does it run rough at idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a steady noise. It's not any of those noises. It's probably from the shaking that's causing the noise. It's just a constant loudness
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok and the noise appears to be coming fro the engine? Or from the transmission Hard to say without you being a little more specific. The engine still shakes while driving, like its bucking/misfiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's coming from the engine. What kind of problems could this be from? I looked online and it said one girl just changed a spark plug and the shaking stopped...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not bucking or misfiring
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

If its coming from the engine it depends what area of the engine is coming from. A loose spark plug can cause a noise and you would feel it thrugh the top of the ignition wire on top of the center of the valve cover where the spark plugs are. It could be a noise from the belt tensioner, removing the serpentine belt and if the noise goes away would indicate its coming from one of the belt driven pulleys/altenator,etc. If its still making noise with the be removed and coming from the front of the engine it could be an issue with one of the tensioner or idler pulleys for the timing belt. If its coming from the top of the engine/valve cover area it could be an issue with something in the valvetrain/base engine problem/mechanical engine issue