EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Have a 2001 explorer sport trac, bought from private owner.

Customer Question

have a 2001 explorer sport trac, bought from private owner. the tonneau cover has a key port at both ends,and ignition key does not open either. not sure if same key or not. not able to remove the cover.
also keyless remote transmitter not working unless the remote is near the ignition. when get the transmitter even near the doors, it will not work. we just programmed a new transmitter and does same thing. batteries in both are good.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. First, the tonneau cover comes with its own keys. It was an installed accessory. So the ignition keys will not work. Also it is common on your vehicle for poor range performance of the remotes. The GEM/Central Security Module, is what needs to be replaced to fix that. It is what has a built in antenna to pick up the remote signals. Please respond if you have further questions on this. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do obtain keys for the cover? is there a lock code or something to match lock to key?is the GEM/CSM something a mechanic needs to replace?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Yes a dealer needs to replace the module because the information needs to be downloaded from the old one and installed into the new one. I have never had to find replacement keys for the cover before. But I think your best bet is to go to the dealer and ask them about getting replacement keys. Or possibly find out which brand cover it is and go to there website or call them.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 12 months ago.

Hi. Thank you for viewing my response on 11/29/2015 at 4:37:30 PM 6 day(s) ago. Please let me know if you need more info and please rate the service provided.