Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1985 ford bronco xlt with a 351w, I replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 1985 ford bronco xlt with a 351w, I replaced the carb to a edelbrock 1406, I removed the smog air pump and started moving the vacuum lines around or removing them. My question is what else needs to be removed to get rid of all the emissions equipment and also it runs at a very high idle, around 1600. I've searched high and low for vacuum leaks, adjusted timing, fuel mixture, idle screw, etc. I'm out of ideas.
Category: Ford
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, just hook up the vacuum for the egr(ported) that is only vacuum when the gas is applied or use a block off plate for the egr .

you dont really need any other vacuum hose except for the vacuum advance on the distributor and the pcv valve .

if you want to keep it simple...

make sure the choke plate is wide open or the choke linkage is not sticking -I am sure you checked that though .

have you sprayed carb cleaner around to check for vacuum leaks ..jazzmaster ..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sprayed everywhere with carb cleaner no leaks. But there's at least 30 different vacuum hoses under the hood and your saying I really only need 4 of them?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

if you have a vacuum controlled heater switch you will need that still hooked up from the manifold vacuum too.

are you just trying to simplify this system ?

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The manifold heater switch has been removed and I'm just trying to remove the unnecessary emission stuff. To unclutter the engine compartment
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

you can pretty much remove most of the vacuum hoses associated with the air pump system and even the vacuum hoses to the air cleaner ,being that this is a 1985 ,most of all the vacuum hoses and switches were for emissions things .

ford did seem to have many many vacuum hoses and vacuum controlled devices .

whenever I had (my own cars) and simplified the emissions .I would run only what was needed at that point .-which was pcv/heater control valve /distributor .

most times the emissions parts cannot be obtained anymore .then you have just a bunch of vacuum hoses pretty much going nowhere and doing nothing

I usually just removed them all and used what I needed .be it direct or ported vacuum ..

all other I plugged /capped off .

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, since that heater Valve has been removed is that going to mess anything up?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

no, unless the a/c works but otherwise no it won't

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ac does work
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

ok, the heater valve works from vacuum coming from the heater control in the dash ...

so you need the vacuum from the manifold that goes into the vehicle for that ..

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

do you still need help with this question ?