Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Why do the blinkers on my 2005 ford 500 come on randomly and

Customer Question

Why do the blinkers on my 2005 ford 500 come on randomly and constantly and drains my battery
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the hazard lights come on or does just one side blink? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hazard lights. Front and back. Whenever I open the car doors, anytime during driving, after I turn the car off. Just all the time
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does it seem to be alarm system or just hazard lights? How do you get them to stop? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no way I get them to stop. It stops on its own, then starts back up. It appears to be hazards but I don't know
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The hazard switch sends signal to the smart junction box then smart junction box sends power to the signals. This would either mean hazard switch has failed or smart junction box. During problem you can unplug the hazard switch to see if problem stops if so replace, if not replace the smart junction box. This would be around a $300-$400 repair to have done at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was the alarm how would I go about it
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If it was alarm the starter would be disabled so I do not think that is the problem. Also if the alarm was problem it wouldn't happen if leaving door unlocked. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you seen anything like this before? And the car does have an automatic starter. Would that have anything to do with it?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I have seen this and it is usually caused by a failed smart junction box. The automatic starter would not cause this. Let me know how it turns out or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the smart junction box the same thing as a fuse box
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes but it has a module built into it. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the hazard switch, is that the hazard light button or is it in the smart junction box
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That is the hazard light button.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hazard lights come on when I turn them on. They just also blink when I dont
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You would want to disconnect switch when they are stuck on to see if that shuts them off, if so replace the switch. If not then replace the smart junction box. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the panel I have a problem light. It's a car with a padlock going through it. How do I get that light off?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That light would indicate a security problem which is usually caused by PATS module. Only thing you can do about that problem is try a different key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have the one key. Is there another way I could disarm the alarm system, like reset everything
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid there is no way to disarm, at this point your best option is probably having dealership repair since scan tool is needed to check related codes. Sorry about the bad news, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I be able to get a duplicate the key to fix the problem
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It might help but I wouldn't count on it, the money is probably better off spent having them figure out problem. Let me know how it turns or if you run into more questions. Thank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the little lights at the side of the headlights called?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Those are marker lights. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I noticed that the hazard lights stopped blinking when I put my foot on the brakes
Expert:  Dan replied 12 months ago.

This would point problem toward smart junction box again since both are related.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A locall mechanic fixed the light issue. However the car stalls at a red light. It shut off and as soon as I try to crank it up again it shuts off immediately. What could that be
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

What did light problem end up being? Random stalling without other symptoms usually means the throttle body is dirty.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Something with the aftermarket alarm/remote starter. Is the throttle body something I can fix myself?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Yes you can get throttle body cleaner from your local parts store, spray onto a rag, then wipe out the throttle bore and throttle plate. This would take you around 15 minutes. Let me know ow it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What does P0340 and P0106 mean?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

P0340 is related to camshaft position sensor and P0106 usually means the Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Module has failed or leaking vacuum line going to egr.