Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2001 Ford Expidition and it will not produce any

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Ford Expidition and it will not produce any hot air. I have air flow in all vents and when the defroster is on, but no heat.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you warm the engine up to normal operating temp and raise the hood and place your hands on both heater hoses on the passenger side of the firewall with the heater on and the engine running , are both hoses getting nice and hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which hoses are the heater hoses?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

There are two black hoses on the passenger side at the firewall next to the AC/heater plenum (about the size of a garden hose).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I look under the hood, it looks like Medusa in there. There are black hoses going everywhere, and I don't see anything going directly to the firewall.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

There kind of down low and they are the only two that connect to the firewall to the heater core. You may need something to stand on to reach them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I am touching the correct hoses and they both seem very hot.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then that means you have good flow though the heater core and if you are still not getting any heat in the cab the problem is usually caused by a failing blend door actuator located under the dash on the AC/Heater plenum. I have enclosed the replacement steps in the link below, if you follow them closely, this is a repair you can likely do your self. Copy and paste the link below to your browser to open and view the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Blend%20Nov%2028.pdf

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe that is the problem. We cut a window behind the glove box in the air vent and actually saw the door open and close on command.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well if the door is opening and closing and you have good coolant flow though the heater core you should have hot air.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish I did. Any other suggestions ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well if you are 100% sure the door is closing then go back and recheck the heater hoses, both need to be to hot to hold if you have good flow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well neither one is too hot to keep my fingers on, but one seems hotter than the other.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then that is likely the cause, if you have good flow through the heater core on a warmed up engine then you should burn your hand holding on to them to long. If one is not as hot as the other then you either low coolant or a bad thermostat or the heater core is restricted. I would start first with making sure the cooling system is full with no trapped air and I would also look at the coolant temp gauge to see if its reading in the normal range. In most cases if the cooling system is low on coolant and the thermostat is stuck open the gauge will read on the cold side and that will affect the heater as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have drained the radiator and replaced with new anti-freeze. The temp needle on the display seems to be in the middle of the gauge.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay if you sure there is no trapped air then you may want to consider back flushing the heater core, like I said, both hoses need to be nice and hot to get heat in the cab.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, what is the best way to flush the core?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Remove the heater hose from it and take a garden hose and force water through it from one side to the other.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see anywhere to detach it from
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

There are clips on each hose that you have to squeeze. See the link below. See steps 4,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Step%204%20Nov%2028.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mine do not look anything like the ones in the diagram. Mine all have metal crimps. do not look like they are detachable without destruction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can E-mail you a picture
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you take a close look at then you will see they do, there clips are at the ends of the hose and snap onto the heater core out let lines. Send me a picture so we can make sure your looking at the right hoses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what I was referring to
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Those the hose and they tee off for rear heat, follow them in under the shelf and that where the connect to the firewall. The instructions I sent are the correct ones.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron. I need to head into work. Can this thread carry over for any length of time?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes the question stays open as long as you need me even after you rate my service, simply post back when you ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.