Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 1998 Mustang GT 4.6L SOHC Automatic trans. When in

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Mustang GT 4.6L SOHC Automatic trans. When in Park, I can rev the engine to high RPM's and it sounds fine but, when I'm accelerating in Drive(like when I'm getting up to speed on an on-ramp onto the freeway) I hear a buzzing noise. Once I'm up to speed, the noise is gone but, when I accelerate to pass, the sound returns. My first thought was maybe the starter gear was barely grinding on the flywheel so, I removed the dust cover to expose the flywheel and found no metal shavings or anything. The frequency of the sound increases with the speed but, I noticed the the sound becomes choppy or almost intermittent at higher speeds. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

Are you able to produce this noise on a rack or when brake torquing?

My first thought is the transmission filter is aftermarket, and not seated well or not the right shape and its vibrating against the transmission pan.

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.