Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Tapping noise 5,.4 triton 2004 F150, 106,606 miles

Customer Question

tapping noise 5,.4 triton 2004 F150, 106,606 miles
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

Is the tapping noise coming from the valve covers or the front cover on the engine?

Do you know anything about the oil change history on the truck?

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tapping noise in upper part of engine. 5/20 penzoil changed ever 5,000 highway miles.

Thanks, ***** ***** is known for so many valve train noises, from many different parts like the:

timing chains

chain tensioners

cam phasers

roller followers

lash adjusters

Most concerns come back to at some point the wrong oil was used and the service intervals were to long.

I suggest the first attempt prior to taking the engine apart is. Get the engine to operating temp. Add one gallon of kerosene to the engine oil. Run the engine at 2000 rpms for one minute. Shut it off then an hour later restart and run it at 2000 rpms for 30 seconds. Then drain the oil and filter overnight. Refill with Motorcraft 5-20 synthetic blend and one bottle of Mercon 5 transmission oil. If the concerns are from oil ports restricted in the head effecting all the prior mentioned valve train parts then this should clean it out and help with the noise and or resolve it.

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.