Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2000 ford focus. There is nothing happening when I

Customer Question

I have a 2000 ford focus. There is nothing happening when I turn the key on. The PATS light is not on currently. When I disconnect the battery the PATS light flashes rapidly then produces a code 13. I replaced the PCM and the PATS module with an identical one and the same issue persists. I had a locksmith come out and hook his electronic device up to recode the key but he said it would be a waste of time because of the issues. His device did give an error saying No Key Code RXD.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

You mentioned he programmed the key, did he do one key or 2 of them?

With the key on now, the theft light is flashing rapid?

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did not program any because with the error message he had he said it would be a waste of time. The light currently does not flash at all. The only time I can get it to flash is if I disconnect the battery. The when I reconnect the battery it flashes rapidly for maybe a half a minute. Then starts flashing a code 13 for several minutes then quits flashing completely until I disconnect and reconnect the battery.

What is the battery voltage?

Will it at least crank?

Are there any aftermarket electronics on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 12.5 volts
As stated in my initial question, nothing happens. No click, No starter noise, no turning over, Nothing!
No aftermarket electronics installed.

Do you have an auto or manual transaxle?

SPI or ZETEC engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
automatic

SPI or ZETEC engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
spi

Remove the starter relay from under the dash.

Check pin 3 is it power all the time, pin 1 power when trying to start?

Is pin 2 ground when trying to start?

With the key on, briefly jump a paper clip from 3 to 5, what happens?

Below is a chart file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My relay configuration is not quite like that but close. Terminal 1 and two are lower down. KOEO....Terminal 3 is ground and terminal 4 is hot. I just want to provide that info before I touch the paper clip to 3 and 5. Terminal 2 does not go to ground with key in start position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pin 1 is power with the key in start position.

Is your relay laid out like this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hate it when Ford does that.

Okay pin 87a is not used, do not test it.

Pin 30 or 87 should be power all the time.

Pin 85 and pin 86, one should be power and one ground when trying to start.

Jump 30 to 87 with the key on.

Can you test it again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, Pin 30 is hot
Pin 85 is hot on start
Pin 87 is ground
Pin 86 does Not go to ground on start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you want me to jump across 30 and 87 with a paper clip right? Because that is direct hot to ground even with the key in the run position.

The PCM is not ground pin 86, that is why it will not crank.

Yes, key on, briefly jump 30 to 87

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I touch the clip to 30 and 87 the car turns over.

No start though?

Do you have a diagnostic tool to see which PCM and PATS system code numbers are stored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not let it crank to see if it would start. I only touched it for a second. I have a diagnostic tool and can see if there are stored code numbers. I'm not sure if it will diagnose the PATS. I have never used it for that.

Let it crank to see if it will start, I am pretty sure it will not, but worth a shot.

See if your tool will communicate at the least and see if any modules are storing codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have an OBD 1&2 scanner not a diagnostic for PATS. Also, I have had the battery disconnected several times and have another PCM installed to try and eliminate any issues with the original one. They are the same PCM. I have also replaced the PATS module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cranks...no start

Unfortunately we have reached the end of what we can do without the appropriate scan tool. We have confirmed the PCm is not allowing the vehicle to crank and start. When you replace a PCM 2 keys have to be reprogrammed to the vehicle. This requires a 10 minute security access wait time, then once in, all prior keys have to be deleted from the module and 2 keys reprogrammed back to it.

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.