James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I own a 2008 f250 with a 6.4L engine. The doors do not lock

Customer Question

Hi, I own a 2008 f250 with a 6.4L engine. The doors do not lock and the cd player always resets the radio and says CD error. This is already pointing me towards an electrical issue. Any ways the issue if that when i start the truck up and its cold white smoke that smells like diesel is coming out of the exhaust. when i hit the gas (still in park) a cloud of white smoke comes out. If i let it idle for too long It start idling really rough and pours out white smoke. Now lets say i take it for a drive after just starting it after driving without stopping for about 10-15 minutes the white smoke disappears completely while driving. Then i stop in a parking lot and let it idle and there is no white smoke at all when i hit the gas (while still in park) there isn't any either and the engine sounds completly fine. Then after about 15 minutes of idling it starts to sound really weird again and white smoke pours out of the exhaust. Then i turn the truck off and on again and what do you know? its completely fine again! Sometimes even while sitting at red lights the weird almost shaking and engine noise and white smoke pouring out of the exhaust occurs. Once again all i have to do is turn it off and on and its fine again. Also the EGR and CAT have X's on the readiness test on my scanner meaning they didn't complete the readiness test. Sometimes when i turn the key half way , but not the entire way to crank it i hear a buzzing noise under the hood of the truck. When i lift it up its coming from the EGR valve, or one of the sensors/wires connected to it. I am thinking this is an electrical issue, but don't know what to do or go from here. I haven't heard of anyone else with these symptoms so any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am allowed to answer two of these concerns. Which two would you like to get figured out first?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the question about the Egr/white smoke please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm assuming that the two are connected, i feel like its an electrical issue, but I'm not exactly sure.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

It does sound like they are related. It almost sounds like the EGR valve is opening up and causing the vehicle to run rough. Do you have a way to test for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
as i said i have a scanner. There are no codes though.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If you monitor EGR valve position while the vehicle is acting up. what do you get for a reading?