James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

1998 ford explorer will not crank, seems dead. keys do not

Customer Question

1998 ford explorer will not crank, seems dead. keys do not work. tried to jump and vehicle theft alarm sounds.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does this vehicle have an aftermarket alarm installed? It would be under the steering wheel in a square black box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. it is intergrated into vehicle when I purchased it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there? What is my problem and fix for it?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Have you owned this vehicle since new?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it new.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The factory anti theft system in this vehicle won't honk the horn by hooking up a battery charger. Unless something is haywire. This is a sign of aftermarket equipment. If you have owned the vehicle since new it can be a couple things. One is the battery cables can be oxidized and wore out. This is just something that happens over time and new cables would correct the concern. Another thing is the vehicle starter could have gone bad. If this was to happen lights would come on like normal but when you try and start it they can go very dim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does not honk the horn, it does set off the audible theft alarm when I try to jump or connect a battery charger. I get no lights or anything at all when I try to start the vehicle, nothing happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what could my problem be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
James,
I am not satisfied with this effort and the information I have received so far. Are you researching my problem or not?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am. I am also assisting others besides you. An audible theft alarm like a siren?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The factory alarm system only uses the horn for anything audible. If you have a loud Siren noise this isn't from the factory.