Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

I have a mustang 2008 gt and recently had the engine

Customer Question

I have a mustang 2008 gt and recently had the engine replaced with a used one. After installation, during drive testing it, the engine began to shake with a horrible noise after being driven for 15-20 minutes (check engine light came on). The mechanic took the car back to the shop and drained the oil, found metallic shavings in the oil, like aluminum. Then he proceeded to clean and inspect the engine, nothing was found. He obtained the following codes: P022, P0340, P0345. He proceeded to turn it back on, and car ran perfect. We test drove the car and after 15-20 minutes again, when trying to park the car, the horrible sound and shake began again. He drained the oil and found metal shavings again. What could this problem be?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Was anything done with the timing or did you install the engine as is/was?
Did you use any parts from your original engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only part that the mechanic took from the old engine was a broken solenoid. Attached is a picture of the invoice, with a description of what they did.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

My opinion

Since the car is giving timing codes (both cam sensor codes) and one variable intake code, I find it most likely the noise is from the timing chain, most likely the metal they are finding is from the chain as well.

Clearly something is causing the timing to be off on the car which is why it's setting cam sensor codes for both sides of the engine. I think new timing chain tensioners and checking the engine oil pressure after running for a bit would be the best place to start with this. I assume they are saying the oil pressure gauge on the dash is staying normal. What they really need to do is check the actual oil pressure with an oil pressure tester at the port for the sending unit and not assume the gauge on the dash is accurate.

I would seriously be looking at timing components as the problem here.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!