Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Loud clunking noise from rear end of Ford F150, 2009.

Customer Question

Loud clunking noise from rear end of Ford F150, 2009. Started after a 1 1/2 drive when pulling up to the first set of lights. it only happened when we accelerated and got worse as we drove into the city and had to drive at lower speeds.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One common issue if this hasnt been checked yet is one of the universal joints (U-joint) on the drive line.It is usually the one at the rear differential that fails and causes slack and causes the clunk noise.It is #2 in the picture here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dpt7h01uptwvit/ujoint-11-23.gif?dl=0.If these have not been checked place the vehicle in park and try and turn the rear drive line to see if there is any slack in the U joints.Move the driveline up and down and side to side to check slack as well.If there is any play or slack in any of the U joints the affected U joint needs replaced.

If these are checked and found o.k. the pinion and ring gear can wear down to a point where there is a clunk as you start to accelerate.These are located inside the rear differential.If the U joints and drive line are o.k. then the internal components of the rear differential will need checked to see if the ring and pinion gear need replaced as well as for any bearing wear with one or more bearings that may need replaced.

These are usually the most common for this issue you have described here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete