Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2001 F-250 Super Duty /gas It won't start. battery

Customer Question

I have a 2001 F-250 Super Duty /gas It won't start. battery is fine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you fro your question,

Are you working on a standard transmission or an automatic?

When you turn the key to the crank potion do you get a click of the starter solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic,yes it clicks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay if its clicking then that means the ignition switch and fuse checks okay, power to the starter flows out of the ignition switch through fuse 20 and down to the Transmission Range (TR) sensor, Are you able to do some quick testing with a 12 volt test light or a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay the clicking you are hearing is likely the starter solenoid located on the passenger side fire wall and if its clicking then its seeing the start signal , the next steps would be to check for power at the small start wire at the starter as well as the larger battery cable while holding the key in the crank position. If you have power there then that means the stater has failed. Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure with out checking the power at the starter. One thing you can try is have a helper hold the key in the crank position and go down under the truck and smack the starter a few time with a small hammer, in some cases if the brushes are stuck it will allow the starter to engage and start. Since you can not test it, try smacking the starter and see if it will start. If so then it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Im here

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

How can I help you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still need help on F-250
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay have you tried what I suggested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a voltage meter or light
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well one thing you can try is to have a helper hold the key in the crank position and get under the truck and smack the stater a few time with a small hammer. If the brushes are sticking it will usually allow the starter to crank . Try that. If that does not work then you are going to need to find someone who can help you do the test steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not the starter, it's a fuel problem
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You told me it will not crank over and only clicks, is that not the case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's not the starter. It's a fuel problem.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay so does the engine crank over but just not run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then if you suspect its a fuel problem you may have a failing fuel pump, unfortunately to determine that you are still going to need to be able to check for key on cranking power at the fuel pump. I am not sure how your going to do that if you do not have a test light and or volt meter. Is there someone that can help you with this if I walk them through tit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did check all the fuses& they were OK
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then the next step would be to check to see if the fuel pump is getting power while cranking the engine. Is there someone that can help you do that If I walk them through it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm calling the garage.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if you need the test step for them I will send them for you.