Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I bought my son a used 1999 ford ranger 4 cylinder standard

Customer Question

I bought my son a used 1999 ford ranger 4 cylinder standard and the guy that sold it said I had to let it sit after starting it to let the oil pressure build up. I replaced the oil sender and the trucks oil pressure is now good but it still dies when I come to a stop and doesn't want to start again very easily. Could it be the IAC valve?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** your check engine light on? Does pressing down gas pedal help get it started? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I come to a stop it dies. If a put it in neutral and give it gas, it stays on but if I let off the gas completely, it dies
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'd start by checking diagnostic codes, the iac can cause this but does not usually set codes. You can have diagnostic codes checked at your local parts store for free, write them down, and let me know what they are. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you may have a possible vacuum leak but if check engine light is on first step is checking codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a loud noise that sounds like a vacuum leak but it comes and goes when at idle. Thought maybe it was a belt slipping but I guess it could be a leak?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Most likely, probably around the PCV valve or PCV valve is sticking open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is that located?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The oil separator is an ovalish canister mounted on the drivers side of the block under the intake manifold. It has a 5/8" piece of hose coming out of it. At the end of this short hose the PCV is inserted in-line, with another piece of hose that goes up around the front of the intake manifold and on to the underside of the upper intake, near the throttle plate. Here is a picture, let me know how it goes. If no obvious leaks then continue with getting codes checked. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99i8j9c5043yde6/25.pdf?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try that first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you!!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I'll talk to you then. Have a good night!