Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

I have a Ford 2006 expedition where a wire under the dash

Customer Question

I have a Ford 2006 expedition where a wire under the dash has become disconnected and the car won't turn over now. We can't figure out where it needs to be plugged back into after looking at all the diagrams etc. It's the wire/connector for what appears to be the security light indicator that is directly underneath the steering column under the dash. It's a small connector 4-wire connector.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The picture is both of the connector/wire and then what it connects to on the end side, which appears to be the light that indicates whether the anti-theft system is active etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually that might be a coincidence. I saw some internet fodder, used the key fab to lock/un-lock and then tried to start. It turned over started and immediate stop like a "kill switch". Then tried to restart and it would not turn over.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definitely has to do with the security system. It started fine yesterday. Now I noticed the parking lights were on so I did the lock/unlock with the key fab again and this time the alarm went off. So hopefully that wire being disconnected is what's triggering it. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

This connector is located on the top side of the steering column, you will have to remove the knee bolster, under the column, remove the mounting bolts for the column and drop the column down on the seat, then take a flashlight and look between the column and the dash cluster and you will see the other end of the connector,it is designed to be plugged in first then put column bac in place leaving it sandwiched between the column and the dash. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ask me another question,i will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

after installation the anti theft will have t be reprogrammed at the dealer or a high end locksmith.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is this connection called exactly and do you have a diagram showing it?

This is the connector for the passlock solenoid built into the ignition lock cylinder, the end you have found is the junction that protects the wiring from damage and connects to the main wiring under dash harness. Therefore it is impossible to show you a picture.

Go here for wiring diagram alldatadiy.com