Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

1893 X 4 351W Just took off all the emissions put on an

Customer Question

1893 For 4 X 4 351W
Just took off all the emissions put on an Edelbrock intake and Holley 650 carburetor.
Removed all the unnecessary vacuum lines and emission control stuff. Had the heads reworked and the engine is now running fine but the rear main seal started leaking. Had the rear main seal replaced and it is leaking.
The shop we have it at is stumped and wondering if taking off all the vacuum lines and putting on the Edelbrock intake and Holly carb if we've change something we need to take a look at?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

First and foremost is to make sure you did not block or or drastically restrict the breather vent/hose.

Different things can cause this issue, of them are:

Incorrect installation of the seal, inferior parts and or defective, block surface where the seal seats has a problem such as worn or grooves in the crank, excess internal pressure and or not able to vent, excessive crank play/walking such as from a bearing,

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get this to my mechanic it'll be sometime next week I'm going to be out for a few days but I'm going to get this to him and let them verify and then I will pay as agreed thanks for your help
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

A perfect seating seal on it's sealing surfaces would only leak due to crank movement being incorrect/out of spec or excessive crankcase pressure, otherwise mechanical problems should be checked as I noted.

Thanks,

Joe