James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I'm a 61 year old single woman from Southern California and

Customer Question

Hi... I'm a 61 year old single woman from Southern California and I'm getting ready to move to the Lake Tahoe area soon (grandbabies live there). I have NO experience driving in snow and my daughter says that I will eyed a 4x4 SUV. So I've been doing some research and just getting confused. I had a 2004 Explorer (2 wheel drive) and loved it. I'm having concerns though about the "button" that engages the 4x4 ability sometimes doesn't work. I'm looking for an unbiased answer please, as my safety could depend on it. Pretend I'm your mother...what would you suggest? Thank you
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the explorer does make a fairly reliable vehicle and there 4wheel drove works well also. Is there a particular year you are looking at? Are you reading reports of the*****not working correctly?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I did send you a phone off. It does make giving details back and forth much easier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at a 2015 or 2016. The reports I've read were for older models but I just wanted to check. I've also been looking into the Land Rover as its been said that it's the best vehicle for snow but quite expensive.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

The new explorers are more reliable than say early 2000's with***** The nice thing is they are more all wheel drive and with traction control they are very safe. When the design change came out in 2011 I haven't even worked on one for*****concerns. My family uses the new explorers as well where we get snow 6 months out of the year. The only thing I would suggest are snow tires as they will benefit the vehicle even more.