Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

My 1998 ford f150 4.6 wont turn over or crank...we just

Customer Question

my 1998 ford f150 4.6 wont turn over or crank...we just changed plugs and wires ...truck was running with check engine light on before we changed plugs and wires
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

This is a rather difficult engine to replace plugs and wires on,were any electrical assemblies unplugged or removed to gain access?

also it mentions above you replaced a solenoid which one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THERES ONLY ONE...IT IS ATTACHED TO FIREWALL ON PASSENGER SIDE...WE CHANGED BOTH COILS LAST WEEK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MAYBE MY TERMINOLOGY IS WRONG ON THESE PARTS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE REMOVED THE ASSEMBLY ON PASSENGER SIDE THAT HAS THE THICK WIRES (RED) TO GET TO THE REAR PLUG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I CANT FIND ANYTHING THAT IS DISCONNECTED

Ok, it sounds as if you replaced the starter solenoid, did the old and new solenoids match in every detail? the red wire assembly is the maxi-fuse and needs to be inspected to see if it broke when it was disassembled, they are quite delicate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HOW WOULD I KNOW IF THE RED WIRE ASSEMBLY IS BROKEN OR DAMAGED?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ASSUME THE OLD SOLENOID IS STILL GOOD,,,,,,

if maxi fuse assembly is not broken it will have continuity through it from one red wire to the other, what i was asking about the solenoid is were the connections identically marked looked like a duplicate part?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THEY MATCHED UP EXCEPT THE OLD MOTORCRAFT ONE HAD 2 LARGE BOLTS AND ONE SMALL
THE NEW ONE HAS 2 SMALLS

A Ha! look very carefully at the old one with a bright light and a magnifying glass if necessary, and there will be a letter stamped in it right above the small post, then check on the new one and make sure the wire to the same letter small post. Measure the voltage on the battery side of the solenoid large wire ,that it is at least 12 volts., measure the signal wire voltage on the small post when the key is turned to the start position, that it is also 12 volts. If all check good, then check voltage at the starter is also 12 volts, if it is ,remove the starter and have it tested off of the vehicle. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given,until you are completely satisfied with my answers..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we hooked up a tester and we got 18 tranny codes ...also replace fuse 23 code but the fuse looks ok...also we bypassed the ignition switch by jumping a wire from starter solenoid (the small one) to hot on battery...there is no fire on that wire that hooks up to the small post on the starter solenoid...the off button on the overdrive keeps flashing and it is stuck in second gear it seems like now...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the posts on the maxi fuse were all hot and had the appropriate voltage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its not starter as it fires up by jumping that wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also the speedometer isn't working either...im sorry ..I keep remembering stuff.
none of these were problems before we put new plugs and wires on it....it cranks up fine by jumping that wire ...the check engine light had came on last week...but it was running fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will rate this when I'm satisfied
I am not now
It's my fault that I don't get the proper information to you
But it is my money

Sure ,sure, the small wire only should have power when the key is turned to the start position ,if it does not, then there is an issue with the ignition switch or power to it from fuse center,or between the ignition switch and the solenoid. whenever there is a voltage problem the computers will always set multiple false codes from under powered circuits. address those last nd only after voltage issues are solved,then clear all codes and test drive 5 miles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I change the ignition switch first?

No, you should always test a component first ,before replacing it.