James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

My '04 f150 fx4 will not engage in 4wd. When I crank the

Customer Question

My '04 f150 fx4 will not engage in 4wd. When I crank the truck the light comes on but will not come on when I engage and I can not hear it engage. Solution(s)?
Also, I do not dive the truck much at all.
60k miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, on this particular model it is usually caused by a faulty transfer case shift motor. If you have a way to test the 4x4 module it will likely give you a code for the motor. Do you use*****a lot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe 3-4x per year. (Snow and Ice). The truck sits a lot.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Yea this shift motor can build corrosion over time. Using the motor helps keeps the contacts clean of corrosion. So if it sits a lot I would suspect the transfer case shift motor is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you replace the shift motor does that usually completely fix it?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Correct. When the transfer case motor fails replacing it is all you need to do to repair the vehicle. Some people will try and hit it wil a hammer to see if it will shift into***** When is an old school way to test it.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.