Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Air bag lght flashes 10 times pauses then repeats over

Customer Question

air bag lght flashes 10 times pauses then repeats over again. Disconnected neg. battery terminal and reconnected but air bag flashing still there.
1991 Mercury Capri XR2
RF
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

This is what flashing 10 times means. Disconnecting the negative on the battery will not reset it.

Probable fault - Firing circuit disarm device blown due to deployment circuit shorted to ground.

There is a thermal fuse built into the diagnostic monitor that "opens" (breaks the circuit) the battery and power supply circuit if a short should occur in the air bag deployment circuit without a safing sensor being closed. This prevents an unwanted air bag deployment due to damaged wiring (not due to an accident but say due to a careless mechanic or corrosion).

The code 10 is due to a short to ground, as described in the diagnosis for a code 5. Code 10 is normally found after repair of a code 5 condition or a code 5 condition that is intermittent. ALWAYS LOOK FOR A CODE 5 CONDITION, that is SHORTS, BEFORE REPAIRING A CODE 10 by replacing the diagnostic monitor.

If you do not address the code 5 condition the new monitor will have its fuse blown again, and need to be replaced again. The fuse is internal and not one you can replace as a separate item.

Very often the cause of an air bag light is a poor ground connection at one of the sensors, or a failed sensor. the "ground is supplied by the screw that holds the sensor to the body. If the screw hole is corroded try a larger self tapping screw and make sure the surface under the screw head is clean metal. Lastly, DO NOT do anything to the air bag system without first disabling the air bag.

If you are not experienced with air bag systems, let a professional work on it. It is the most dangerous system to work on in a car. The explosive device can go off at anytime and you can lose your hand, fingers, even your life.

To disable it, you have to disconnect the battery and let the back up power bleed off. Then you have to disconnect the back up battery, which is usually behind the dash, left side of the glove box. An experienced tech will know where it is and how to disable it. That is the first thing that gets drilled into us when we learn to work on air bag systems because it can kill you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Most times when I see the code, there is a bad module in the air bag itself.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?