HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 1988 ford f150 4x4 w/300 6 cyl. that will start run

Customer Question

I have a 1988 ford f150 4x4 w/300 6 cyl. that will start run for about 10 mins and then die acts as if it is out of fuel but is not. Then will not start back until it sits 5 mins. then repeats. What could be the cause?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

hello, could be an issue with the ignition system a bad pickup coil or ignition module or issue with the pcm. When it wont restart need to verify if you are getting spark when cranking. if not it is related to the ignition system possibly. Verify the check engine light comes on when the key is turned to on, this means the PCM is getting power to operate. then see if the check engine light goes out when cranking, if it does that means the pcm is getting an rpm signal from the distributor. if it doesnt that means it not and can be a bad pickupcoil in the distributor. A diagnostic check for codes of the EEC IV system should be done to see if any PIP Proifle Igniton Codes are stored. If its getting rpm signal and no spark, verify the ignition coil is getting an rpm signal by checking its ground circuit for a pulse, if it has pulse and no spark, the coil is defective